Thursday 24 April 2014

Carrot and, er, banana

Carrots and bananas. Unusual bedfellows, I’m sure you’ll agree. But united by one key attribute: value for money.

Earlier this month, I inspected the fruit and veg options that are feasible during my challenge. It transpires that celery is a luxury. And apples are mostly beyond my reach.

Image: Nicholas Noyes

The cheapest option that Sainsbury’s had to offer was a carrot for 7p. I can spend a penny more and upgrade to a (Fairtrade) banana. Living the dream, my friends, living the dream.

I appreciate that 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day is a health target beyond the reach of many of the poorer countries in the world. But this my weekly plan needs to be a relatively sustainable to be in the spirit of the challenge. I don’t want to get scurvy, do I?

Carrots and bananas it is then. Maybe both in a day for a treat.

At the end of April I’m attempting to survive on £1 a day for food and drink for 5 days. Would you sponsor me? Every pound is gratefully received. Go here: sponsor James