Sunday 5 October 2008

In search of a creative climate

Every few months I go to my local art gallery. Sometimes I'm taken by the imagery, other times I'm repulsed. But the quality isn't what beckons me: I'm in search of provocation. The art refracts me.

I've discovered that my creativity (don't laugh) is fuelled by my surroundings. I need to engage with interesting people, places and ideas to to stop the spring running dry.

I bring this up because I've been following a most illuminating idea: if you were to take 40 amazing creative people to the Arctic, and show them climate change as it happens, wouldn't that experience ignite their creativity? Cape Farewell have done just that.

Photo by Emily Venables

I'm glued to the blogs of those on board. And I can't wait to see what they do next.